Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Convert Degrees to Foot Pounds?

On Friday, November 26, 2004 at 7:22:42 PM UTC-6, Kenn E. Thompson wrote:
Working on a Deutz Diesel engine. The instructions say to torque the
bolts to 30 foot pounds then turn 45 degrees.

Can I convert the degrees to foot pounds so I can use a torque wrench
to make them more exact?

Is there an abbreviation for "foot pounds"?

I'll state what should be the final on this matter: YOU CAN RE-USE THE BOLTS. Forget all the theory crap above mmmk. I own the repair manual. You just need to check them to see if they are still in spec. If they are reuse them if they aren't get new ones. Period.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thompson wrote:
Working on a Deutz Diesel engine. The instructions say
to torque the
bolts to 30 foot pounds then turn 45 degrees.

Can I convert the degrees to foot pounds so I can use a
torque wrench
to make them more exact?

Is there an abbreviation for "foot pounds"?

I'll state what should be the final on this matter: YOU
CAN RE-USE THE
BOLTS. Forget all the theory crap above mmmk. I own the
repair manual.
You just need to check them to see if they are still in
spec. If they
are reuse them if they aren't get new ones. Period.

Let's follow up in about 16 years, just to make sure.

If these are torque to yield bolts they cannot be re-used.
How do you check them to see if they are still in spec?
How do you measure the yield point by just looking at it?
hummm?
Several years ago a company here was chipping tires
and the cutters were shattering. They asked for my
opinion of why. These were 1" fine thread gr8 bolts and
they were snapping off. Did you torque them to spec.?
Yes. Were they new bolts? No, they cost too much to
replace. I said: you have to use new bolts as you are
torquing them beyond the new yield point and that's why
they are snapping off. The point at which they are breaking
off has been work hardened and cannot be streched again.
The owner told me to get the f...k out of here. They
contined to use the old bolts and are now out of business.
The shredding machine got scrapped due to damage.
About those Deutz bolts, the torque to 30 ft lbs snugs up
the threads and turning it 45 degrees stretches the bolt a
known amount. Torquing it may over stretch it beyond
the yield point. Those Deutz engineers apparently
understand this. Kudos to them.. ;)
pdk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Some can be re-used, the Rover K series engine bolts are one. The
factory specified they can be re-used if they are still within a
particular length. Maybe in that case their length allows it to be done
safely as the bolts pass all the way through the engine from cylinder
head to the bed plate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 May 2020 04:30:53 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

On Friday, November 26, 2004 at 7:22:42 PM UTC-6, Kenn E. Thompson wrote:
Working on a Deutz Diesel engine. The instructions say to torque the
bolts to 30 foot pounds then turn 45 degrees.

Can I convert the degrees to foot pounds so I can use a torque wrench
to make them more exact?

Is there an abbreviation for "foot pounds"?

I'll state what should be the final on this matter: YOU CAN RE-USE THE
BOLTS. Forget all the theory crap above mmmk. I own the repair manual.
You just need to check them to see if they are still in spec. If they
are reuse them if they aren't get new ones. Period.

Let's follow up in about 16 years, just to make sure.

The torque then add degrees is actually MORE ACCURATE than a simple
torque because you are STRETCHING the bolt. Can you get away without
replacing the bolts? Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes lucky gets
you (bites you in the ass) When you say in spec, do you mean check for
stretch with a micrometer??? On a 6 inch bolt with a bit of rust or
crud you trust yourself to measure within 10 thou or less??? Good
luck. ANd an UNDER-TORQUED head bolt is more likely to break than an
overtorqued one on those engines due to heat cycling fatiguing the
unstretched bolt.
45 degrees in 1/8 turn - VERY easy to get THAT right.

When you are doing a $10,000 rebuild don't risk the whole job an a
dozen head bolts - REPLACE THE DAMNED THINGS!!!!
(Turning wrenches since 1969)