The Masked Marvel

Default Two Circuits, Neutrals and Bare Wire Grounds Gathered, Problem?

Yes, unbundle the bare grounding wire from the neutral (white) wire!
While the neutral is grounded, it should be grounded (connected to the same
bus bar) ONLY at the main service panel for the building per the National
Electric Code. After that point they should always be seperate (even there
is (virtually) no voltage differance between them). The neutral is a curent
carrying conductor, the bare or green grounding wire normally is not -- only
when a fault occurs does it carry current, and on a circuit w/ a GFCI the
GFCI will see that the neutral is not carrying the current it should and
trip. In any case it is desirted (required to keep then seperated except for
the one point at the service enterance.

Further questions or clarifications on grounding, neutrals, 3 ways, GFCI's,
other?

"David W. Walters" wrote in message
om...
In a post to another news group about wiring a 3-way switch leg with a
GFCI someone mentioned that the reason the GFCI was tripping when the
light was lit via the 3-ways is because the return current for the
lighting circuit returned to the panel via the neutral of another
circuit. The fix was to ungather the neutral for the lighting circuit
and direct it back through the appropriate neutral. OK. Fair enough.

But there was also some discussion of having to unbundle the bare wire
ground for the lighting circuit for the lighting circuit from the
second circuit also. I surely don't understand why.

As that thread has died out and I'm not getting any more information
about this and as I still need to complete that repair I thought I'd
ask here about the unbundling or ungathering of the bare neutral
wires. Why would it be necessary to have the ground wire grounded to
it's own circuit rather than through a second circuit. I've seen
bundled grounds all over the house even when there is more than one
circuit in the box.

Thanks

David