Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default Sloped Garden levelling and fence wall

newshound Wrote in message:
On 22/05/2020 11:12, Jimk wrote:
Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
Think L shape sections with the "foot"/footings facing away from
the retained slope, with rebar running from the footings up
through the retaining wall structure. Plenty of concrete around d
the rebar of course...

It?s actually the opposite. The L of the footings should face into the slope so that the backfill exerts a downward force on it to keep the wall upright.

Richard

Either is valid.

Agreed, although they are working in different ways. The devil is in the
detail.

In practice it comes down to where the rebar should be placed in
the "foot" - compression Vs tension etc.

Round here it is common to see retaining walls built from semi-random
limestone. If they are vertical, you can to some extent judge the age by
the amount of "bulge" from the hydrostatic pressure from the soil and
they always require rebuilding eventually. The one I build in my garden
slopes into the ground at an angle of about 20 degrees to the vertical
and as yet (30 years) shows little sign of bulge.

Serious constructors use stone filled gabions.

How long do they last though? 4/5mm galvanised wire strikes me as
having a finite life....

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----