Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Sloped Garden levelling and fence wall

On 21/05/2020 18:30, Jimk wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 21/05/2020 15:44, VIk wrote:
I have a sloped garden and I want to pave it. I got the first bit done
by the
contractor but would like to attemp the second half myself. I am
planning to
hire a digger to dug 2ft deep trench, fill it with concret to build the
holding wall. I would also like to build the wall as a fence instead of
wooden
fence. I live in High Wycombe and my main concern is if 2 ft deep trench is
enough for foundation and to make a solid wall. I got the annex built
and they
had similar depth for the foundation. The ground in my area is quiet
solid and
stoney (sorry for the lack of word). I have attached image of the annex
foundation and the area where I plain to dig. Is it necessary for me to
have
a iron skelton in the foundation ? I am not building a massvie wall but
just
a single block wall 1 meter high.

Secondly since my I am paving the garden, the council said the water in my
property should drain within my property. My plan is to keep a portion
of the
garden unpaved to soak the water and also run a french drain parrell to the
garden wall and holding wall in the middle of the garden. Will this be
enought
to keep the garden from flooding or any rain water issues?
Thanks in advance

Do you mean you need a retaining wall? How high? What do you mean "the
wall as a fence"?

Rather than needing footings two feet deep, you might need to dig a
soakaway.

You don't normally put rebar in footings.

Unless it's a retaining wall ....

Yes that might be set in the footings, but it would be there to
strengthen the wall, not the footings. And simple rebar would not do all
that much to keep the wall upright.