Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default A cautionary tale for saw table users

On 21/05/2020 15:10, wrote:
On 21/05/2020 13:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/05/2020 09:04,
wrote:
On 21/05/2020 08:44, fred wrote:

I've had a few of those but only minor ones but definitely brown
trouser moments. When I attempt what you did I use extreme caution.
Best to clamp a small piece of wood to the fence which ends before
the saw blade and take your measurement from there but we've all got
20/20 hindsight

Yes, when cutting to length I normally clamp a block to the rip fence
or use the cross-cut carriage with a stop block to get repeatable
lengths .... but I needed a chamfer and the blade only tilts one way
and this

I used to have that problem with mine, until I made up a box to go
round the OEM rip fence that made both sides useable. So I can choose
which side to have the fence, and hence whether the blade tilts
towards or away from the fence.

The rip fence goes either side of the blade but there's not much space
on the right side (the blade tilts to the left) because of the other
functions - it's a Kity Bestcombi 2000. An excellent machine, and all
perfectly good provided the operator doesn't behave like a prat.

Ah, yup see what you mean - have the proper sliding table steals quite a
bit of fence rail width on that side.

was "only" a small cut, and (insert lots of other "only"s) - bottom
line is that I was a prat and lucky to escape with my right middle
finger still attached and likely to function normally once it stops
looking like an over-inflated blue balloon. My wife is very relieved ;-)

There is a temptation to read far more into that statement than you
probably intended :-)

It was intended ;-)

Perhaps you need something that can take away the pain but leave the
swelling :-)

--
Cheers,

John.