Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default A cautionary tale for saw table users

On 21/05/2020 09:04, wrote:
On 21/05/2020 08:44, fred wrote:

I've had a few of those but only minor ones but definitely brown
trouser moments. When I attempt what you did I use extreme caution.
Best to clamp a small piece of wood to the fence which ends before the
saw blade and take your measurement from there but we've all got 20/20
hindsight

Yes, when cutting to length I normally clamp a block to the rip fence or
use the cross-cut carriage with a stop block to get repeatable lengths
.... but I needed a chamfer and the blade only tilts one way and this

I used to have that problem with mine, until I made up a box to go round
the OEM rip fence that made both sides useable. So I can choose which
side to have the fence, and hence whether the blade tilts towards or
away from the fence.

was "only" a small cut, and (insert lots of other "only"s) - bottom line
is that I was a prat and lucky to escape with my right middle finger
still attached and likely to function normally once it stops looking
like an over-inflated blue balloon. My wife is very relieved ;-)

There is a temptation to read far more into that statement than you
probably intended :-)

--
Cheers,

John.