Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Actually this question has come up before.

Yep.

The reason I was given many years ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up
fast, it would jolt at the start and end of the run.

Yes, but that’s easy to fix by accelerating and decelerating at the ends.

And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would probably still
take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a short one, and
people are heavy loads to move.

Nope. It works with electric wheel chairs.

I guess one could make a three point seat belt system

No need if it goes as fast as a walking person.

but by the time you have done it up and undone it, you might as well have
been going slower anyway!

On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good
product to make. grin.

Makes more sense to have one downstairs or a real dunny there.

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kxygxtbwdg98l@glass...
Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.