Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Paint failure

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/05/2020 15:49, wrote:
Some south facing exterior timber window frames were painted with
Leyland undercoat & gloss topcoat, both oil based. The wood was in
sound condition, and the old paint was all stripped off due to its
poor condition. Now the paint is flaking badly a year later! How can
a repeat of this failure be avoided?

That is a fairly decent quality paint so it almost certainly has to be
bad preparation of the surface to be painted or moisture still trapped
in the wood when it was painted. Frost or excessive temperature
variation before the paint had fully cured might be a possibility too.

Do you have a picture of a flake (underside) and the surface it flaked
off?

It is the top coat only or is the undercoat and top coat coming away
from the wood surface. South facing is the most stressful direction for
a painted surface to face but it should last a lot longer than that.

or the wood has dried out. I solved this problem once, but putting linsead
oil on the wood and letting it soak in before painting.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England