Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default A cautionary tale for saw table users

A cautionary tale! Typed using less than the usual number of fingers.

Until an hour ago I had never (in many! years) had a bad kick-back on a
saw table. Everyone knows not to stand in-line with the cut and not to
cut short pieces using the rip fence. I didn't stand in-line but
couldn't be bothered to fit the cross-cut table and was "only"
chamfering the edges of some new post tops, so ran the 110 square bits
of 20mm sawn between the blade (canted to 45 degrees) and the rip fence
- all was well until, very suddenly, it wasn't. Suddenly there was a
bang and pain. The piece of wood must have rotated slightly, jammed
between the blade and fence, and been fired backward at mach 2+ ... all
exactly as I was warned by Mr? in woodwork class back in 1960something.
Very fortunately my fingers did not get the blade (or vice versa) but
the wood has caused bad bruising, swelling and a few holes in my right
centre and ring finger - the centre one may be broken. I'm starting to
wish the initial numbness would return.
Take care, and use that cross cut table!