Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default "Drywall"

On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:46:07 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0koff3e6wdg98l@glass...
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:05 +0100, Scott Lurndal
wrote:

Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall, sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

Whatever it's called, it's ****. It's powder held together with paper.

Nope, the paper is just the surface.

Under the paper is just powder. Ever tried removing some?

Use wood for crying out loud.

No thanks, much more expensive for a wall or ceiling

But a better finished product.

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

Wood does not crumble. Wood panels attached with screws come off by simply undoing some screws. You can even reuse the wood. But plasterboard ends up in a cloud of dust and mess.

easier to screw things into like a picture frame etc.