Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default "Drywall"

On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:20:07 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard "drywall"
even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints. Hence
"Drywall".

I was talking about lath and plaster, not joins in whatever you call sheets
of drywall.

Wet plastering is still done in the UK, most obviously with skimming.

Far too skillfull a task for an American.