Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Much visited subject - decking treatment

On 13/05/2020 12:33, Tricky Dicky wrote:
The other option is a spirit based wood preservative which includes
a oil/wax protection. Those give a flat colour look, but also
impart some water repelling properties. (I tried the Barrattine
wood protective treatment (Toolstation) last year on some outside
furniture. Been quite impressed with that - it all held up nicely
though the winter, and is still water repellent)

John how good is the UV repellent in it. SWAMBO quite likes the
finish of the pressure treated wood of our garage so it has had two
applications of a clear treatment but this has no effect in
preventing the bleaching of the timber. Does the UV repellency only
apply to the coloured versions and the dyes used in them?

I don't know. The one I used was a coloured one on tanalised pine - so
its hard to judge. So far after about 8 months outside I can't see any
loss of colour or bleaching. However its not been through the full
summer yet!

--
Cheers,

John.