Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Cast iron corn sheller

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 15:58:32 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:

Found some flax seed oil so will try that in a few days after all
the parts are done.

And *ten months* later I now have an update. Tried electrolysis de
rusting and gave up. No mater how long I left it running there was
always some red rust under the black. Also noticed that as the
outside edges got cleaner the middle and inside areas got slower and
slower. Sheller sat in the storage shed all winter.

Went with plan A and had it sandblasted. Got it back a few days ago
and the wife baked on the first layer of flax seed oil. Looks pretty
good. Not as black as an old frying pan liked I hoped. But restoring
this to use, not as an antique. Will try to put a few pictures up on
the web once it is put back together.

Thanks again to all here who offered advice!
--
William