Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cast iron corn sheller

Got my de-rusting tank set up last night and it seems to be working
great! Plastic tote big enough to hold the two largest pieces. 3/4
cup of washing soda in approximately 7 gallons of water. (You Tube
videos were all over the place on how much. From "too much will not
work" to "the more the better".) Charger on 6 amp 12 volts. Ran it
for a few hours and unplugged it overnight since my charger seemed
to be getting slightly hotter than it does charging a battery.

About four more hours this morning and pulled them out. Most of the
red rust was gone and /some/ of the black rust scrubbed off with a
scrubbing pad in the sink. Back in and bubbling more vigorously than
before. Picked up a new wire brush today, sure it will work better
Think my goal is all the red rust gone and not worry about any
remaining black rust that will not come off easily?

Found some flax seed oil so will try that in a few days after all
the parts are done.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 3:58:37 PM UTC-4, William Bagwell wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you're on top of it, William. About the black rust: It's actually considered to be somewhat protective. Some of the conversion coatings actually convert to that black rust, which has a common name I can't think of at the moment. You don't have to get rid of all of it before applying whatever final treatment you have in mind.

Aside -- my desktop computer crashed; it may be the final push I need to get off of Usenet altogether. There is so little left of interest, and so much trash, that it really isn't worth the time. So if I don't reply, it's not because I'm ignoring anyone. It's because I've found better ways to use my time.

Good luck with your derusting. The electrolytic method is a really valuable tool to have in your toolbox.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 15:58:32 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:

Found some flax seed oil so will try that in a few days after all
the parts are done.

And *ten months* later I now have an update. Tried electrolysis de
rusting and gave up. No mater how long I left it running there was
always some red rust under the black. Also noticed that as the
outside edges got cleaner the middle and inside areas got slower and
slower. Sheller sat in the storage shed all winter.

Went with plan A and had it sandblasted. Got it back a few days ago
and the wife baked on the first layer of flax seed oil. Looks pretty
good. Not as black as an old frying pan liked I hoped. But restoring
this to use, not as an antique. Will try to put a few pictures up on
the web once it is put back together.

Thanks again to all here who offered advice!
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Resent to fix the newsgroup name.

On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:22:48 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2020 19:54:51 -0400, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 15:58:32 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:

Found some flax seed oil so will try that in a few days after all
the parts are done.

And *ten months* later I now have an update. Tried electrolysis de
rusting and gave up. No mater how long I left it running there was
always some red rust under the black. Also noticed that as the
outside edges got cleaner the middle and inside areas got slower and
slower. Sheller sat in the storage shed all winter.

Went with plan A and had it sandblasted. Got it back a few days ago
and the wife baked on the first layer of flax seed oil. Looks pretty
good. Not as black as an old frying pan liked I hoped. But restoring
this to use, not as an antique. Will try to put a few pictures up on
the web once it is put back together.

What also works is to ignore the rust and simply heat the cast-iron
item up to a red heat, and allow it to cool slowly in air. Then, the
seasoning will work well.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And *ten months* later I now have an update. Tried electrolysis de
rusting and gave up. No mater how long I left it running there was
always some red rust under the black. Also noticed that as the
outside edges got cleaner the middle and inside areas got slower and
slower. Sheller sat in the storage shed all winter.

Went with plan A and had it sandblasted. Got it back a few days ago
and the wife baked on the first layer of flax seed oil. Looks pretty
good. Not as black as an old frying pan liked I hoped. But restoring
this to use, not as an antique. Will try to put a few pictures up on
the web once it is put back together.

What also works is to ignore the rust and simply heat the cast-iron
item up to a red heat, and allow it to cool slowly in air. Then, the
seasoning will work well.

Joe Gwinn

A bit late for that. Got it put together yesterday and ordered a
replacement wood handle on Ebay. Had searched last year for a wood
handle with 5/16" bore with no luck. Considered ordering the little
clamp 'doo jobbers' that allow you to quickly mount and dis-mount
the sheller when using it. (Very common for these to be missing!)
Only ones in my price range were aluminum. The cast iron 'new from
original molds' were about what I paid for the whole sheller.
--
William

cast iron or cast steel-how do i tell?? monkers[_2_] Metalworking 11 February 24th 10 08:17 PM
OT - PEANUT SHELLER J T Woodworking 0 August 26th 05 06:54 AM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM