Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Window frame, rot.

On 09/05/2020 11:56, ss wrote:
I have a area of rot on a window frame (image attached).
I hacve scraped it out and will let it dry for a few days then intend to
use wood rot hardener then fill with 2-part epoxy stuff.

Is this the best way to go or should I cut a section out and replace the
wood. Damaged area is approx 20cms long and approx 2cms at widest.

Other question that piece of the sill does that go through to the
interior of the frame? Not sure how these things are constructed.

https://imgur.com/BXRr3bd

Judging by the photo just fill with 2 part wood filler or 2 part car
body filler (whichever you can get the cheapest).

What I've done in the past with a much bigger area of damage is to cut
out as much rot as passible, treat with wet wood rot hardener and find a
piece of decent scrap wood that fills 2/3 of the hole and treat that as
well. Fill the back of the hole with 2 part filler, hammer the scrap
wood into the filler and then fill the rest of the hole covering the
wooden fillet. The scrap wood saves having to use too much 2 part
filler. Repair like this lasted me 5+ years before the windows were
replaced with UPVC.