Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Home brewed beer - hard or softened water?

On 07/05/2020 16:46, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2020 15:44:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 07/05/2020 15:22, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
NY posted
I'm about to try brewing beer from a kit. Our tapwater is fairly hard,
but the house has a water softener (*) for one of the kitchen taps.

Is it better to use hard water, as it is supplied, or to use water
from the softener? I can't detect any difference in taste of water
from the normal or softened tap.

I'd say it is far more important to make sure the tap water isn't
excessively chlorinated. I had to give up home brew years ago when my
water board (Thames) started putting far too much chlorine in the
water,
contaminating just about every batch with fermentation by-products that
had a filthy chemical taste.

But you boiled your wort didn't you? No chlorine should survive that.

Unless you are using a kit.

If you are concerned about chlorine, just leaving water to stand for 24
hours is usually recommended

Ah yes, it is a long time since I made it from a kit.