Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet Andy Bennet is offline

Default Home brewed beer - hard or softened water?

On 07/05/2020 15:53, alan_m wrote:
On 07/05/2020 14:30, Andy Bennet wrote:
.

Depends on the brew. I know for a fact that Greene King purify their
local water, then add back in all the minerals present in the brewing
water of the brewerys they bought out in the past, to recreate the
proper flavour of the corresponding beers/ales.

If you live in Burton on Trent I guess you use it neat and untouched!

But, IMO, Greene King beers are some that I dislike (taste wise) most.
To me they have an astringent, almost artificial, beer taste.

While taste is down to personal preferences I do enjoy a range of
different beer styles with a preference to hoppy tasting beers rather
than malty tasting beers.

Water for beer
https://www.beerdaybritain.co.uk/how...ew-beer/water/

As well as their own beers - GK IPA, Abbot etc, which I too also have a
distaste for, they also brew Olde Trip, Speckled Hen and variants,
Ruddles County and Best, Ridleys Old Bob and a few others - all at the
Bury St. Edmunds brewery. They all have their own special brewing waters
formulated on site as I mentioned.