Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet Andy Bennet is offline

Default Home brewed beer - hard or softened water?

On 07/05/2020 14:21, NY wrote:
I'm about to try brewing beer from a kit. Our tapwater is fairly hard,
but the house has a water softener (*) for one of the kitchen taps.

Is it better to use hard water, as it is supplied, or to use water from
the softener? I can't detect any difference in taste of water from the
normal or softened tap.

(*) One of those inline cylindrical ones that is fitted with compression
fittings into a branch of copper piping off the rising main.

Depends on the brew. I know for a fact that Greene King purify their
local water, then add back in all the minerals present in the brewing
water of the brewerys they bought out in the past, to recreate the
proper flavour of the corresponding beers/ales.

If you live in Burton on Trent I guess you use it neat and untouched!