Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Third doctor falls from hospital window after raising alarm about coronavirus

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 04 May 2020 09:16:24 -0400, micky
wrote:

First one in my lifetime, that is.

Started in 1400's in Prague.

Jan Masaryk in 1948 was the last famous one, until now I guess.

I can't find it now but his brother, or son, Tomas??, became PM of
Czech. sometime after the Prague Spring IIRC. maybe I'm wrong.

I was quite mixed up. I remembered that there were two famous
generations, but I thought the second was at the time of the Velvet
Revolution. Instead he was the last voice of free government before the
Communists totally crushed democracy t here. He may have been a rallying
cry later. . It was the father, Tomas, and the son Jan Masaryk who was
murdered by being pushed out the window.

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 May 2020 13:18:03 +0100, Bod
wrote:

If you criticize the Russian government, you get thrown out of a window.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/04/third...irus-12650832/

There's even a name for it, defenestration.

First used wrt Ian Masaryk in Czechoslovakia iirc.

Living in Russia is no picnic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Masaryk This shows another example
why resigning can be a very bad idea, counter to one's interests. I
don't know when or why resigning got its good reputation.

In February 1948 the majority of the non-communist cabinet members
resigned, hoping to force new elections, but instead a communist
government under Gottwald was formed in what became known as the Czech
coup (Victorious February in the Eastern Bloc).[5][6] Masaryk remained
Foreign Minister, and was the only prominent minister in the new
government who was neither a Communist nor a fellow traveller.[6]
However, he was apparently uncertain about his decision[citation needed]
and possibly regretted his decision not to oppose the communist coup by
broadcasting to the Czech people on national radio, where he was a much
loved celebrity.