Posted to uk.d-i-y
Algernon Goss-Custard Algernon Goss-Custard is offline

Default Car battery charging current.

posted
On Sunday, 3 May 2020 07:23:49 UTC+1, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
The metal enclosure is riveted together so I can't open it up. Anyway

A drill bit would remove those in no time.

IMLE the failure mode for devices based on a transformer is nearly
always shorting or burning out of the windings which can't be fixed.

It can be any of the parts, including just a bad connection.

Thanks to you and Rod for these suggestions. It was a bad internal
connection to the ammeter.

I was a bit reluctant to drill the rivets out in case I damaged an
internal component in so doing, but then I thought - well if I don't
open it up I'm going to throw it out anyway, so what the hell.

--
Algernon