Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Car battery charging current.

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 03/05/2020 12:47, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Saturday :
So you are guessing it charges a low battery at 140 amps? ;-)

No, there would need to be a rather large difference in voltage
between the alternator and battery, to achieve that and as the
battery attains a charge, its voltage rises quite rapidly.

I would suggest nearer an initial 20amps, which would rapidly fall to
maybe 3 to 6 amps. A flat to full charge time when being driven, can
require 6 to 10 hours of being driven.

6 to 10 hours driving is far more than many cars ever get.

Which is why it is always best to put such a battery on a mains
charger for 24 hours, if at all possible.

Given most cars these days have plenty alternator capacity, there
really shouldn't be the need to ever charge the battery externally.
Unless the car is not used for such a time as the battery goes flat.

It's now 7 weeks since I used my car.

Hope you have been starting it and running it for 30 mins every week or
so.

No, I've been following the manufacturer's instructions and disconnected
the battery

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England