Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Connecting polypipe to lead pipe

On 02/05/2020 17:47:17, Robin wrote:
On 02/05/2020 17:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/05/2020 14:51:06, Robin wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Robin wrote:

snip.

I ask again. You have perhaps miles of lead pipe carrying potable
water. A single solder joint - even with lead solder - is going to
make a difference?

That's a different question from the one you asked before.

Not really.

And one which seems to me to depend on (a) where are these miles of
lead
pipe, (b) how you know yours would be the first lead soldered joint,
and (c) how will future plumbers know that you and others and done
before them.

But in this case, we are talking about making one connection to an
existing lead pipe.

You're the one who raised the miles of lead pipe.

I've only ever done this once. Hammered a bit of 15mm copper into
the lead
an inch or so, after cleaning the lead. All that was then needed was a
fillet of solder between them to seal it. Has worked for the past 40
odd
years. ;-)

Good for you - but then it wasn't illegal then.Â* I'd not blame
Roland's contractor for declining to go that route.

Before perpetuating the fallacy it would be a good idea to provide
evidence it is illegal.

AIUI it's in the link you provided: para 2(1) of Schedule 2 to the Water
Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/2/made

Which doesn't say you can't solder with lead free solder. If you can
find anywhere that says I can't solder on a copper pipe onto lead, then
you're doing better than me.

The text you quoted states that led free solder is acceptable for
repairs "Where damage is restricted to small areas on internal above
ground lead pipe" and goes on "For all other types of installation ...".

Quite, which is the typical reason why you might want to repair or
replace a section of lead pipe. There is no legislation saying I can't
repair it by replacing a section with copper, of course using lead free
solder (for a potable supply).