Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting polypipe to lead pipe

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
No big deal to connect lead to copper using solder. For a decent
plumber.

The consensus is that this is now banned for potable water.

They have banned a soldered joint in a lead pipe carrying potable
water?

Does Trump make the rules in the UK?

If there's lead in the solder, yes. And in Regulations made in 1999
so you know which government to slag off.

Lead free solder has been around for ages.

Then go for it. Or find a plumber who will do it. May be easy with
newer solders. All I know is plumbers who gave up when lead free
solders had a higher melting point and lacked the "squidgy" stage (see
John Rumm's post for proper terminology).

I ask again. You have perhaps miles of lead pipe carrying potable
water. A single solder joint - even with lead solder - is going to
make a difference?

That's a different question from the one you asked before.

Not really.

And one which seems to me to depend on (a) where are these miles of lead
pipe, (b) how you know yours would be the first lead soldered joint,
and (c) how will future plumbers know that you and others and done
before them.

But in this case, we are talking about making one connection to an
existing lead pipe.

I've only ever done this once. Hammered a bit of 15mm copper into the lead
an inch or so, after cleaning the lead. All that was then needed was a
fillet of solder between them to seal it. Has worked for the past 40 odd
years. ;-)

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.