Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CU cable entry

On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 11:29:12 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 29/04/2020 10:14, tabbypurr wrote:

Interesting. Last time I used those, long ago, they severely distorted the sheet they were punching. Is there some way to avoid that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQE6mtRWCk

I've used them in the past without problems but are you sure that it was
the punch causing the distortion or you applying a sideways force to the
whole punch assembly and twisting the metal.

the metal was in free air, and the punch tightened with spanners. The problem is that the punch cutting edge is not flat, so as it pushes 2 parts of the potential hole, the whole sheet wanted to follow it & get very bent. I know punches sometimes work, but IMLE with them you need a lot of surrounding metal to resist that urge to bend horribly.

You can get a Q-MAX Thrust Race to make winding in the punch much easier
and possibly help with with any unwanted forces you apply to the
structure you are working on

sure, not sure it's worth it for 1 or 2 holes.

NT