Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default No spark (distributor question)

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 07:54:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 7:13:08 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 11:23:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

So let me ask a related question. The plugs are always
getting fouled (black fried gunk) on this tractor and
I clean 'em with kerosene. Could I maybe fix that some
with better timing? Though it does other things this
tractor spends most of it's life dragging a mower deck around
the 'estate' (The mower deck is called an estate groomer in the
manual. :^) Sorta medium rpm 2k, 1st or 2nd gear (depending on grass)
the grass is a heavy load on the pto/engine.

George H.
(did you guys do anything actively to reduce the political
crap on this site/net? or was it natural?)

Running rich most likely (float too high?) or possibly pumping oil.
Try a warmer plug. Champion F16 or even D21 instead of the original

=====================================

Running rich and burning oil give different exhaust smells. Oil smells
like -- burnt oil, a rich mixture smells like solvents, applying the choke
gives you an example. You can briefly hold your hand in the exhaust and then
sniff it. A modern car exhaust is the standard for proper combustion.

Thanks Jim. So if my exhaust smells the same as when I leave the
choke on, then maybe it's a carb problem?
(I'm resisting the urge to make some fart joke.)

George H.

Oil smoke is blue - rich fuel smoke is black. Check the exhaust - if
its "dry" and black it's running rich. If it's gooey it's oil. If
it's burning oil switch to a heavier oil (I'd run 15w40 or 20W50) and
I'd also try putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil for an hour or
two before draining the oil - It's pretty darn good at freeing uup
stuck piston rings which WILL make the engine burn oil.
How many hours are on the little TO20 and has it ever been rebuilt?
How has it been maintained? The Continental z120 is a pretty tough
little engine but it's been around a LONG time!!!