Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default False ceiling

On 27/04/2020 14:44, Roland Perry wrote:

Why are we trying to stop the false ceiling floating upwards?

To stop the rigid plasterboard ceiling moving and cracking along the
joins over time. Open/closing a door in a domestic room can cause an
air pressure change and cause a suspended ceiling to move if not
securely anchored. If ceiling tiles move they will just settle back in
their frames as they are only held in place by gravity. If a
plasterboard jointed ceiling moves it can crack along the joins.

On my metal ceiling frame where the metal support struts cross they can
be fixed with spring clips which allow a small amount of movement BUT
the manufacturer recommends for smaller domestic property rooms that the
spring clips are replaced with screws to create a more rigid structure.
My metal framework is screwed together with self drilling screws
designed for the purpose. It took around 5 seconds each time two metal
metal sections had to be joined.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...200-pack/5004h