*CBHVAC*

Default Air Conditioning Repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Old Salty Frog writes:

Is my air conditioner
ruined? Since this portion of the copper tube where I accidently
put the hole into is easily accesable, can I solder it?

I am just an armature, but I have done many such repairs successfully.
Applying a vacuum and weighing in the charge require the costly tools.

Lets see...
You cant buy SilPhos by the stick, so thats a pound at $45.
OxyAcyt torch, another 350.
manifold that is accurate, another 150.
scale thats accurate: another 350 to 600
vac pump, on sale 275
micron gauge, on sale, 150
flush, 75
ports, 5.00 each
nitrogen tank, with regulator, 250
R22, at least 90

But
both of these can be improvised cheaply with R-134a if you're motivated

and
assuming you can handle the soldering or brazing.

No, it cant.

134a and R22 use different oils....and all you are doing by hacking a unit
with 134a is creating a situation that will be most costly when the
compressor locks up tight.
The metering device in a window unit is not set up for 134a and will not
cool near as well, or as efficient as 22...

In other words, you might think you have it fixed, but you do NOT.

If it's a small hole in the copper tube you might even get by clamping on

piece of rubber. Back in the 1970s we'd repair leaky rubber A/C hoses on
cars with tire patches clamped with hose clamps; lasted longer than an
expensive new hose. In your case you'd still need to solder on an access
fitting, though.

Sigh...R12 units and R22 units here...pressures are a bit different...
That advice is not EPA approved either.

If you're motivated, and the unit is just junk otherwise, might be worth a
try.

Not really..its called illegal...sure...no ones gonna catch him...no ones
gonna report him...but illegal it is.