Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default False ceiling

On 26/04/2020 11:25, Roland Perry wrote:

I've got an 8ft wide room that I wish to fit with a false ceiling.

2x3" battens (maybe an overkill, but they are easy to source) then
plasterboard.

How far apart should they be spaced?

The existing joists, which I won't be relying upon at all, are 15" apart.

Since this just needs to hold the plasterboard up, and won't ake any
additional load from maintenance access etc, then 24" centres ought to
be ok. (stick to a spacing that matches your plasterboard obviously, so
that a joist will fall on an edge of all the plasterboards)

--
Cheers,

John.