Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tire bead sealant?

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:09:38 -0500, shiggins
wrote:

On 4/22/2020 7:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with
a very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air
rushes out the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the
HF grade. I had reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle
tire levers and partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the
tube straighten itself out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from
Slime and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone
found liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as
importantly allows the tire to be removed

Did you find where the tube is leaking? Using the stem as a marker,
check the contact location on the rim that matches the leak. Use crocus
cloth to smooth any sharp points inside the rim.
After repairing the leak, just for ****s and giggles recheck for other
leaks.
When installing the tube use liberal amounts of talcum powder to slicken
it up. Cover the inside of the tire and then rub it on the tube.

Good luck

Steve

And for crying out loud, REMOVE the nail or screw or staple in the
carcass that caused the leak in the first place!!!

I once felt around inside a tire for the headless black sheet rock screw I
couldn't see from the outside, until I found out why using a bare hand for
that is a bad idea.