Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tire bead sealant?

After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with a
very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air rushes out
the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the HF grade. I had
reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle tire levers and
partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the tube straighten itself
out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from Slime
and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone found
liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as importantly
allows the tire to be removed?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with a
very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air rushes out
the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the HF grade. I had
reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle tire levers and
partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the tube straighten itself
out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from Slime
and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone found
liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as importantly
allows the tire to be removed?

I just buy and use regular bead sealer, it's basically rubber cement
with carbon black added. Never used any of the homemade stuff.

However if you have a leak from the stem hole that suggests a leak from
the tube itself, for that you will want to pull it back out and repair
the leak with a patch, then look inside the tire for something that
punched the hole in it.

For tires that leak but are in good shape I use www.tireject.com/
Even helps with those tiny tires that seem to leak when they are brand new!

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/22/2020 7:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with
a very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air
rushes out the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the
HF grade. I had reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle
tire levers and partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the
tube straighten itself out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from
Slime and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone
found liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as
importantly allows the tire to be removed

Did you find where the tube is leaking? Using the stem as a marker,
check the contact location on the rim that matches the leak. Use crocus
cloth to smooth any sharp points inside the rim.
After repairing the leak, just for ****s and giggles recheck for other
leaks.
When installing the tube use liberal amounts of talcum powder to slicken
it up. Cover the inside of the tire and then rub it on the tube.

Good luck

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 02:29:10 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with a
very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air rushes out
the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the HF grade. I had
reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle tire levers and
partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the tube straighten itself
out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from Slime
and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone found
liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as importantly
allows the tire to be removed?

I just buy and use regular bead sealer, it's basically rubber cement
with carbon black added. Never used any of the homemade stuff.

The commercial stuff is FAR from "contact cement with lamp black" - at
least the stuff I used for 30 years or so. Much closer to a "latex" -
but not a water based product

I guess it depends on the "rubber cement" you are used to as well.
It's (bead sealer) a witches brew of hexanes and pentanes and heptane
and naptha and Zinc Oxide and - Lamp black or carbon black and some
brands have natural rubber latex in place of some of the "soup".

PatchRubber company's product is the witches brew above.
The "simplest" one, XtraSeal from Lawson Products is composed of
heptane, toluene, natural rubber latex and carbon black

However if you have a leak from the stem hole that suggests a leak from
the tube itself, for that you will want to pull it back out and repair
the leak with a patch, then look inside the tire for something that
punched the hole in it.

For tires that leak but are in good shape I use www.tireject.com/
Even helps with those tiny tires that seem to leak when they are brand new!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"shiggins" wrote in message

[...]

==============================
Not yet, I need to make new swivel pads for the 6" C clamps I broke loose
the beads and squeezed them to fit into the drop center groove with, and
that required making a larger centering spider for the outboard end of lathe
spindle, as the one I have, a repurposed drill chuck, only opens to 1/2". I
don't know how close a 1" rod unsupported for nearly 3' is to whipping
around at lathe speed, and I don't want to find out the hard way.

The leak is huge, as if the rubber ripped wide open, which I've seen on
bargain priced inner tubes before. I bought this tube at the store that had
sold me better ones.

The tire has had a -very- slow leak for years which I attributed to the rim
or valve stem, so I after it fully deflated and popped off the rim I checked
the bead surfaces carefully and blew out any dirt. The trailer was old and
beat-up when I bought it around 1975.

One of the rear tires on my Sears garden tractor had been glued on,
presumably to stop a leak though it didn't. I couldn't break the bead and
the tire shop had a very hard time with it, thus my concern about removing
the tire later.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I dried some Victor tire seal on the stove and it isn't a glue. It looks
like diluted latex in water plus some fiber for bulk. I think I understand
why the homebrew mixes add more latex, as there isn't much in it when rubbed
between my fingers as it dries.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:09:38 -0500, shiggins
wrote:

[...]

And for crying out loud, REMOVE the nail or screw or staple in the
carcass that caused the leak in the first place!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

====================================

I once felt around inside a tire for the headless black sheet rock screw I
couldn't see from the outside, until I found out why using a bare hand for
that is a bad idea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

Not yet, I need to make new swivel pads for the 6" C clamps ...

The C clamps are grey with copper-plated screw and swivel pads, from Harbor
Freight IIRC. When the loosely crimped swivel pads twisted off while
breaking tire beads I put them somewhere safe, likely now safely hidden
under something else.

I turned the new swivel pads from leftover 1" 1018 cold rolled shafting
which machines very nicely and was cheaper at a local industrial supplier
than the plated rod at the hardware store. I sized the OD of the swivel
barrel for a large cable sleeve crimper I have, locked them on tightly and
then worried them loose enough to rotate.

The crimper also fixed (?) the one remaining good clamp better than trying
to hammer or pinch it with pliers. The small pad is difficult to grab well
enough to hit it hard.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3834/205887557
As the reviews say they aren't the greatest for splicing steel cable, but
neither are aluminum sleeves. Worked for me, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
However if you have a leak from the stem hole that suggests a leak from
the tube itself, for that you will want to pull it back out and repair
the leak with a patch, then look inside the tire for something that
punched the hole in it.

For tires that leak but are in good shape I use www.tireject.com/
Even helps with those tiny tires that seem to leak when they are brand new!

I dried some Victor tire seal on the stove and it isn't a glue. It looks
like diluted latex in water plus some fiber for bulk. I think I understand
why the homebrew mixes add more latex, as there isn't much in it when rubbed
between my fingers as it dries.

Tire sealants are different than bead sealants. Bead sealers don't bond
the tire in place, they simply fill in the small pits and rough areas to
provide a seal. Tire sealers on the other hand can make a real mess.
Many will rot a rim almost as bad as calcium..

--
Steve W.

Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker? Frank Baron Home Repair 159 July 19th 20 03:16 AM
Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
Tire Bead Goop Pilgrim Metalworking 32 January 28th 19 01:11 AM
Sealant over sealant? al UK diy 4 February 18th 06 06:11 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM