Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tire bead sealant?

"shiggins" wrote in message

On 4/22/2020 7:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with a
very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air rushes
out the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the HF grade.
I had reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle tire levers
and partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the tube straighten
itself out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from Slime
and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone found
liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as importantly
allows the tire to be removed

Did you find where the tube is leaking? Using the stem as a marker,
check the contact location on the rim that matches the leak. Use crocus
cloth to smooth any sharp points inside the rim.
After repairing the leak, just for ****s and giggles recheck for other
leaks.
When installing the tube use liberal amounts of talcum powder to slicken
it up. Cover the inside of the tire and then rub it on the tube.

Good luck

Steve
==============================
Not yet, I need to make new swivel pads for the 6" C clamps I broke loose
the beads and squeezed them to fit into the drop center groove with, and
that required making a larger centering spider for the outboard end of lathe
spindle, as the one I have, a repurposed drill chuck, only opens to 1/2". I
don't know how close a 1" rod unsupported for nearly 3' is to whipping
around at lathe speed, and I don't want to find out the hard way.

The leak is huge, as if the rubber ripped wide open, which I've seen on
bargain priced inner tubes before. I bought this tube at the store that had
sold me better ones.

The tire has had a -very- slow leak for years which I attributed to the rim
or valve stem, so I after it fully deflated and popped off the rim I checked
the bead surfaces carefully and blew out any dirt. The trailer was old and
beat-up when I bought it around 1975.

One of the rear tires on my Sears garden tractor had been glued on,
presumably to stop a leak though it didn't. I couldn't break the bead and
the tire shop had a very hard time with it, thus my concern about removing
the tire later.