Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default tire bead sealant?

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 02:29:10 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
After laboriously installing and inflating a tube in a trailer tire with a
very slow (rim,valve?) leak I found it flat this morning, and air rushes out
the stem hole. This tube was from a hardware store, not the HF grade. I had
reinstalled the bead carefully with smoothed motorcycle tire levers and
partially inflated and deflated it 4 times to let the tube straighten itself
out.

The net suggests various home made bead sealer concoctions made from Slime
and liquid latex, which I have, "Mountains in Minutes". Has anyone found
liquid latex to work as a bead and valve stem sealant that as importantly
allows the tire to be removed?

I just buy and use regular bead sealer, it's basically rubber cement
with carbon black added. Never used any of the homemade stuff.

The commercial stuff is FAR from "contact cement with lamp black" - at
least the stuff I used for 30 years or so. Much closer to a "latex" -
but not a water based product

I guess it depends on the "rubber cement" you are used to as well.
It's (bead sealer) a witches brew of hexanes and pentanes and heptane
and naptha and Zinc Oxide and - Lamp black or carbon black and some
brands have natural rubber latex in place of some of the "soup".

PatchRubber company's product is the witches brew above.
The "simplest" one, XtraSeal from Lawson Products is composed of
heptane, toluene, natural rubber latex and carbon black

However if you have a leak from the stem hole that suggests a leak from
the tube itself, for that you will want to pull it back out and repair
the leak with a patch, then look inside the tire for something that
punched the hole in it.

For tires that leak but are in good shape I use www.tireject.com/
Even helps with those tiny tires that seem to leak when they are brand new!