Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 03:16:48 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jckgczlwdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 01:34:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jcctf0zwdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 21:26:41 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jb5ur0hwdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:29:37 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:12:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 19:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow
if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0
yip hopper heads were for that function and others....usually in
the
days of three pipe systems foul waste and rainwater....then again
cast
iron rainwater downpipes weren't usually cocked if they were for
rainwater only and if the drain blocked the water ****ed out of the
first joint above ground......

What's the advantage of your waste spilling all over the garden
instead
of just not leaving the bath?
what ? ...

If the pipe is blocked and you empty your bath, then if you have a
box,
the water goes everywhere outside. If you have no box, the bath just
stays full and you call a plumber. The second one is preferable
obviously.

No its not; Much more convenient for the bath
to keep working until the plumber shows up.

I don't want a bath full of water all over my garden.

Most care much more about not being able to have
a bath or shower until the plumber has shown up.

Just how long does it take you to get a plumber?

Depends on what else is going on. Mate of mine
in Sydney had a real problem in a deluge that
was flooding most of sydney and his block of flats.

Floods? Do you live on a soggy island?

I can get one within 24 hours unless it's a Sunday. Short enough time to
go without a bath.

But if you have a hopper system it doesn't matter
how long it takes, you can carry on regardless and
keep having the baths and showers you usually do.

I don't have to have several baths within 24 hours.

Or you could just fix it yourself. How helpless do you have to be to not
be able to unblock a drain?

Still much more convenient to be able to leave doing
that until its convenient instead of having to do without
a bath or a shower until its done. Particularly if you arent
a benefits bludger like you and do actually work.

I've had only 1 blocked drain in the 20 years I've lived here. And it didn't prevent anything from emptying, it just oozed into the garden from a manhole cover a bit.