Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:09:39 +0100, NY wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

The job is described in census returns in the UK as "gong farmer" or "night
soil".

What is this "census"? I thought it was something done a long time ago and they'd stopped it in modern times. But Wikipedia claims it happens every 10 years in the UK. Why have I never been asked to fill it in? Do they just randomly sample people? I'd fill mine in incorrectly, they have no business collecting that data.