Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default No spark (distributor question)

On 22/04/2020 02:21, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:31:57 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/21/2020 11:44 AM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 10:05:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 8:45:08 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey, thanks all. The local farm supply had a rebuild kit with
points, (and 20 mil gap tool) capacitor, rotor and four new spark
plugs for $20.

Any hints on setting the timing? I made some marks on the distributor
before taking it off... but I've never adjusted the timing.
(And I've had the tractor for going on 20 years.)

George H.
================================
https://farmmanualsfast.com/products...iABEgKpwfD_BwE
Thanks Jim, I've only got the "Dealer Shop Manual".

George H.
Hmm looks like I need to find which neighbor has a timing light
and wants a beer. :^)

GH

Â* Or you can set the timing marks where it's supposed to be timed and
use a test light as you slowly advance the dist until the points open
and the light comes on . Static timing can get you very very close ...
just be sure the points are properly gapped before you try to time it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

OK thanks. Me and the boy will go F around with it as
soon as it stops blowing and snowing here.
I found a timing light in the 'tool' bus.
(The tool bus is an old school bus left here by the
previous owner and full of all sorts of junk...
useful stuff.)

George H.

When the points open the light goes out at least if you have the test
lamp wired between the dizzy and the coil low tension side to show when
the points are conducting. Your post about the Aussie guy is correct
regarding the way the points operate, I've used static timing many times
for initial set-up on cars.