Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default No spark (distributor question)

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:31:57 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/21/2020 11:44 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 10:05:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 8:45:08 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey, thanks all. The local farm supply had a rebuild kit with
points, (and 20 mil gap tool) capacitor, rotor and four new spark
plugs for $20.

Any hints on setting the timing? I made some marks on the distributor
before taking it off... but I've never adjusted the timing.
(And I've had the tractor for going on 20 years.)

George H.
================================
https://farmmanualsfast.com/products...iABEgKpwfD_BwE
Thanks Jim, I've only got the "Dealer Shop Manual".

George H.

Hmm looks like I need to find which neighbor has a timing light
and wants a beer. :^)

GH

Â* Or you can set the timing marks where it's supposed to be timed and
use a test light as you slowly advance the dist until the points open
and the light comes on . Static timing can get you very very close ...
just be sure the points are properly gapped before you try to time it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Oh.. I was watching some Aussie guy fix up a Ferg, and he set the timing
at 'DC' so to speak. I guess I'm confused about which side of the
low voltage points opening- closing- opening - cycle I'm setting
'zero' by.
So if I'm getting this right, I want to set 'zero' at the
position where the points have been closed and then open up..
(it's my job to get the engine spin direction correct.)
That's the point (position) where the spark happens...
(Huh. I never understood all this before... thanks.)

George H.
(in engine/ flywheel cycle) where th