Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Heat pumps much better now?

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 10:04:40 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 21 Apr 2020 07:36:49 -0400, Todesco
wrote:

On 4/21/2020 12:07 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 23:40:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/20/2020 5:14 PM, micky wrote:
Have heat pumps improved much in the last 30 years, wrt to heating a
home in Baltimore?

I was under the impresssion that the limiting factor is often the
outside temperature, and if it's not over 45 or 40 or 35 or 30 (I forget
which), that it's hard to extract enough heat to keep a place warm.

And that since it's colder than that a lot here, the supplemental
electric heat will go on and that's much more expensive.

The salesman today, called by them a saleman, tells me that things have
improved a lot in 30 years and it can heat the house. But I don't see
how you can change the laws of physics.

My sister had one in her house in NJ. Worked OK but she moved from it
10 years ago so I have no details.

Mine here in FL works great but the lowest temperature I've seen in two
winters is 38 degrees. I have a well insulated house and mild winter
climate. Winter electric bill was only $40. I have no supplemental heat
and don't need it here.

I'd look at other options if you have to replace your present system but
it may be a good option. You mentionel oil heating in another thread.

Yes. There is no gas here. I was going to postpone a new furnace, but I
shouldn't buy AC without considering a heatpump at the same time.

If you have to replace an old oil burner check out
www.energykinetics.com They have some good systems and cut my oil use
in CT by 40%. It paid for itself in oil savings.

It looks good but constantly talks about unlimited showers and boilers.
That's for hot water heat, right? Not forced air.

11 years ago I build this house and had the builder install the best, at
the time, HP. The HVAC talked me into spending about $200 more for an
Amana unit, instead of a Goodman. Both are built in the same factory.
The Amana has a lifetime replacement warranty on the entire outside
unit. All for $200!

Now you've confused me. Both build in same factory sounds like you
think they're the same and not worth more, but the last line makes it
sound like you think Amana is worth the extra 200.

He made it clear. For $200 he got a lifetime warranty. What exactly that
covers IDK, but assuming it's something reasonable, it would be worth $200.

BTW, I think Goodman was bought by Dalton and now is called Dalton???