Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Of Taps and Tails

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 19:46:19 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 18/04/2020 09:30, PeterC wrote:
Got new tap, swivel-spout mixer, with the usual metal mesh outer. Now, a
couple of things:

how durable are these tails? Pressure is about 4 Bar, so quite a force on
the hose.

I have not had any problem with them in general. Just make sure you
don't kink the hoses when tightening.

the tails have 10mm thread into the tap, with a little O-ring as a seal. If
I tighten a tail as much as I can I can still unscrew it by just twisting
the other end. The hex on the tail is no good as it's deep within the base
of the tap.

Firstly, its much easier to get these well fixed before you mount the
tap in place - then you can use the hex ends with a spanner.

You will need the box spanners however (linked by Andy earlier), for
doing up the crescent washer and gasket that fixes the tap to the basin
since you now need to reach into the narrow space between the tail ends.

As I said, the crimp on the tail is bigger than the hex so no go there.

As the water supply is in Speedfit and tails end in 15mm female I'm getting
a pair of Hep2O push-fit tails.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hep2o-pus...m-2-pack/2043f

Yup that looks fine. Don't forget to include a service valve in there
somewhere.

I normally use the supplied flexi tails with their 1/2" BSP female end,
and screw that directly onto the free end of a full boor half inch
compression service valve (having removed the nut an olive).

Like in the photo he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e...rFinished1.png

The valves are at the bottom of the feeds so that I can make mods. higher up
if necessary.
Just tried on an old service valve and it is, of course, OK. Rather
bizzarely the 15mm ends of the tails are for a face seal - like the top of
'conventional' tails, so no good for compression fitting.
I think that the Hep2O is the simplest way but I'll get some straight comp.
connectors and they should be useable between the 2 face seals.

For fitting the waste I have Pluumbers Mait; not a fan as it sticks to
everything except the right place. Is there anything better?

Not required - the O ring makes the seal. I sometimes assemble with a
smear if silicone grease on the O ring.

Some comments on SF's site say that the provided seals are crap. I noticed
that the new basin isn't as well formed around the outlet as is the 30 yo
one. Also, the measurement given is 70mm but the outlet isn't flat-bottomed
and 70 looks as if tightening wil deform the flange; 60 might be better.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away