Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
speff speff is offline

Default I'd like to buy a small lathe

On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 09:29:32 UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"speff" wrote in message

Maybe smaller than you have in mind, but I'm pretty happy with my Grizzly
G0602, decent quality and has done most I needed to do so far. I added a
live center (like this one, but MT3 https://i.imgur.com/6TBDxh7.png) and a
bunch of other tooling including an AXA quick change tool post and carbide
insert tooling. Even got some CBN inserts last year that I've not tried out
yet.

25mm is listed as the spindle bore, but mine will take 1" (25.4) easy.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Do you regret not buying the DRO version?

( I bought a 6 jaw chuck for less than the price difference.)

They didn't have the DRO version available when I bought it so no regrets possible. I bought a solid-looking Sino brand DRO with 2 glass 5 micron scales to fit it from a local supplier (Accusize) but have not gotten 'round to installing it yet. I installed a similar 3-axis DRO on my mill years ago and that all went okay. It would be better if they were both the same brand because there are differences in operation.

Today I would likely get anything with a decent glass-scale DRO installed if offered at reasonable price. The installation is a bit fiddly. Might consider 1um scales if offered but they'd probably be wasted on me.

Since getting it up on the bench and leveled, I have done virtually nothing to it other than installing the QC toolpost and changing the gearbox oil.

I was in China for a few weeks last fall and did some online shopping for a bunch of tooling for lathe and mill. Quality of everything was generally top-notch, some of it was imported from Japan (Kyocera/Mistubishi insert tooling) or made in Taiwan (5um ER collets). Nice hefty (1.5kg) Albrecht chuck with Imperial R8 shank. I bought stuff with guaranteed accuracy and materials specified. The opposite of the "free shipping" Ali/Banggood junk. Most of the selection in larger industrial sizes though.

I still use my little Sherline occasionally for tiny high-RPM stuff, but mostly not. Another project is to convert that to CNC but it's not going to be great without ballscrews and tiny ballscrews are very expensive.

If I won the lottery, of course, I might choose a different set of tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKizLfzz7GM

--Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany