Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I'd like to buy a small lathe

Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/12/2020 1:51 PM, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
Â*I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
Â*So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
Â*I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
Â* I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Â*Any suggestions what to look at?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mikek

They come with dead centers, would you add $35 for a live center?
What other accessories would you add?

Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/12/2020 11:51 AM, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
Â*I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
Â*So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
Â*I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
Â* I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Â*Any suggestions what to look at?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mikek

Ask Mark Wieber for one. He has dozens that mysteriously "appeared" in
his "shop."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/12/2020 11:51 AM, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the

clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Any lathe similar to
the HF lathes is going to need work to be passable. That being said I
made parts with my little HF lathe.

Little Machines Shop has lathes from $699 to 2349. IN that small lathe
category. Chris tends to have better stuff than Harbor Freight. They
are in California so I don't know if they are shipping right now.

Grizzly also has low price smaller lathes, but they also sell bigger
heavier beasts. They even have a smaller one at 4x6 for only $427.
Their 7x14 is almost $100 more than Little machine shop, but they have
lots of options to look at.

Personally I like Precision Mathews, but my PM lathe is a 14x40 that
weighs in at 2K lbs and $5K. It came with a ton of options, better
specs, and marginally better price than a similar size Grizzly or
Bolton. Harbor Freight, and Little Machine Shop don't have anything
that size. I have heard negative reports on some of the smaller PM
machines, but Precision Mathews will stand behind what they sell and
send you anything you need to make it right if you have a problem.

I can't really recomend anybody or any machine unconditionally in the
smaller size. They all have need to be gone through to be decent. If
you know that upfront and expect it then you are fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 13:27:20 -0700, Michael Terrell
wrote:

On 4/12/2020 11:51 AM, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
*I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
*So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
*I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
* I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
*Any suggestions what to look at?

****************************** Mikek

Ask Mark Wieber for one. He has dozens that mysteriously "appeared" in
his "shop."

I like my little Myford Super 7.
Not a cheap lathe by any standard - but very handy. I'd go for a B
series (power crossfeed) if I was looking tofay - but they are pretty
hard to find.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been very happy with my Wards PowerKraftÂ* (Logan Lathe) 10x31 ...
but the OP ain't going to find one new these days . The good thing is
that Scott Logan is still in business and selling parts for these . Mine
is nearly 70 years old and I can still buy most of the wear items from
them .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek
What do you want to do with it? If it's to make model engines etc you can
size the model to the lathe, but for repair parts and prototypes of your
bright ideas you may need a larger capacity, perhaps 8", 9" or 10" diameter.

Mine is a 10" and I make machinery I designed and repair parts for old
equipment. I mostly could have managed with an 8" lathe, maybe a 7", but
probably not smaller. When I was building custom electronics I had a little
Prazi clone which had enough capacity though I didn't appreciate the lack of
half nuts to disengage the carriage from the leadscrew.

I turn enough 1" shafting and drill rod to appreciate my lathe's 1-3/8"
spindle bore. A bore that won't take 1/2" rod would limit the load capacity
of axles you could make. 3/4" is a decent size for loads of several hundred
pounds and 5HP motor pulley shafts.

Welcome to 2020.
Now go home.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message ...

I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories. ...
Mikek

===========================

I used a Smithy lathe/mill when the CNC lathe was busy, which was most of
the time. Though I sorely missed my 10" South Bend's smoother controls and
better ergonomics it was quite adequate to turn robot parts. The mill
section's drive was broken so I can't comment on how useful it is.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been very happy with my Wards PowerKraft* (Logan Lathe) 10x31 ...
but the OP ain't going to find one new these days . The good thing is
that Scott Logan is still in business and selling parts for these . Mine
is nearly 70 years old and I can still buy most of the wear items from
them .

My Myford is over 40 years old and all parts are still available too.
- OOPS - they went out of buisinessrecently- so now it's either an
orphan or a collector piece -- and what's available is available from
Blueridge equipment in west verginia
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

amdx on Sun, 12 Apr 2020 13:51:33 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek

I'm assuming you want a metal turning lathe? (I have various
plans for wood turning lathes which can be as simple or as elaborate
as you can imagine. "Some day ....")
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, 12 April 2020 14:51:38 UTC-4, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek

Maybe smaller than you have in mind, but I'm pretty happy with my Grizzly G0602, decent quality and has done most I needed to do so far. I added a live center (like this one, but MT3 https://i.imgur.com/6TBDxh7.png) and a bunch of other tooling including an AXA quick change tool post and carbide insert tooling. Even got some CBN inserts last year that I've not tried out yet.

25mm is listed as the spindle bore, but mine will take 1" (25.4) easy.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 09:27:29 -0700 (PDT), speff
wrote:

[...]

What's THAT say about Chinese precision, eh??
I suppose that allows for tolerance of 500 thou - at worst case 1 "
will fit? BG

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"speff" wrote in message
Maybe smaller than you have in mind, but I'm pretty happy with my Grizzly
G0602, decent quality and has done most I needed to do so far. I added a
live center (like this one, but MT3 https://i.imgur.com/6TBDxh7.png) and a
bunch of other tooling including an AXA quick change tool post and carbide
insert tooling. Even got some CBN inserts last year that I've not tried out
yet.

25mm is listed as the spindle bore, but mine will take 1" (25.4) easy.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
==================================

Good, we need more positive reviews of decent-sized machines that are
currently available. It seems quite well equipped for the price.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 4:26:37 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
[...]

Yawn...........................

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't think that so much reflects on precision, as it does an
accommodation to the American market and Imperial units.
Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/13/2020 11:27 AM, speff wrote:
[...]

Thanks Spehro, that is useful.

Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"speff" wrote in message

Maybe smaller than you have in mind, but I'm pretty happy with my Grizzly
G0602, decent quality and has done most I needed to do so far. I added a
live center (like this one, but MT3 https://i.imgur.com/6TBDxh7.png) and a
bunch of other tooling including an AXA quick change tool post and carbide
insert tooling. Even got some CBN inserts last year that I've not tried out
yet.

25mm is listed as the spindle bore, but mine will take 1" (25.4) easy.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Do you regret not buying the DRO version?

( I bought a 6 jaw chuck for less than the price difference.)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ya didn't see the Big Grin at the end eh???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[snipppp]

Misread as "buy a small latte..."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I didn't, but there is a bit of truth in questioning precision on many
Chinese products.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message ...

I didn't, but there is a bit of truth in questioning precision on many
Chinese products.

The remaining precision on old American iron like mine can be questionable
too. Fortunately if you measure and understand it you can correct or work
around (or frequently ignore) many problems. For example you can measure the
out-of-squareness of the crossfeed by facing a disk and testing across the
far side with an extended dial indicator, which will read double the error.
It won't matter for the average pulley sheave, custom spacer bushing or
shortened bolt.

Indicating the surfaces of the chuck is another good easy test. I found the
worn and unworn sections of my lathe's leadscrew with an indicator, and now
cut non-critical threads with the worn section, and critical ones on the
tailstock end of a long bar.

The limit to your attainable accuracy is what you can measure, not so much
what the lathe can do by itself.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Several home machinist friends talk about having bought a partly
assembled lathe kit, or a partly assembled milling machine kit. When
they got them home they dissassembled them, did remedial machining and
fitting, then did final re-assembly. Had pretty decent machines when
they were done
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There was a good write up in IIRC Model Engineer some years ago about
the purchase/dismantling and rebuild of a Chinese gear head lathe and it
was the usual sand in castings, fettling, and proper assembly. The
author thought the parts were of high quality and well machined but
assembled by monkeys but after all the work the result was decent .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
Several home machinist friends talk about having bought a partly
assembled lathe kit, or a partly assembled milling machine kit. When
they got them home they dissassembled them, did remedial machining and
fitting, then did final re-assembly. Had pretty decent machines when
they were done

====================================

That's a cynical joke, the machine is sold mostly or fully assembled and
"ready to use" but might as well be a kit of parts that need more careful
deburring, final fitting and perhaps better-grade hardware. I had to re-tap
all the threaded holes in the 3-in-1 combo sheet metal machine I bought
used. The original owner had given up on it and I spent a while fussing with
its crude adjustments, but now it works well enough for a hobbyist.

In my opinion they are useful machine shop apprentice training as long as
you aren't on company time. Identifying and fixing flaws is a valuable
skill. Used industrial machinery can have similar problems from wear, and
trade school stuff from abuse.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message ...

There was a good write up in IIRC Model Engineer some years ago about
the purchase/dismantling and rebuild of a Chinese gear head lathe and it
was the usual sand in castings, fettling, and proper assembly. The
author thought the parts were of high quality and well machined but
assembled by monkeys but after all the work the result was decent .

============================

I generally agree, except that the tee slots on the RF-31 table weren't
quite parallel with the dovetails so I had to machine an angled key to mount
the vise with its jaws parallel to X. The tee slot needed a bit of
single-cut filing to make the key a light friction fit all along its length.

I've heard/read that whatever work can be done at home by mothers tending
babies is, for social rather than economic reasons, like the 18th century
British cottage industries. The specific job mentioned was casting Toyota
tail light lenses.

There is a low level WW2 aerial photo of a burned-out Japanese residential
district with the only things standing being a forest of the ruins of drill
presses. It was used to justify more firebombing.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 09:29:32 UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"speff" wrote in message

Maybe smaller than you have in mind, but I'm pretty happy with my Grizzly
G0602, decent quality and has done most I needed to do so far. I added a
live center (like this one, but MT3 https://i.imgur.com/6TBDxh7.png) and a
bunch of other tooling including an AXA quick change tool post and carbide
insert tooling. Even got some CBN inserts last year that I've not tried out
yet.

25mm is listed as the spindle bore, but mine will take 1" (25.4) easy.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Do you regret not buying the DRO version?

( I bought a 6 jaw chuck for less than the price difference.)

They didn't have the DRO version available when I bought it so no regrets possible. I bought a solid-looking Sino brand DRO with 2 glass 5 micron scales to fit it from a local supplier (Accusize) but have not gotten 'round to installing it yet. I installed a similar 3-axis DRO on my mill years ago and that all went okay. It would be better if they were both the same brand because there are differences in operation.

Today I would likely get anything with a decent glass-scale DRO installed if offered at reasonable price. The installation is a bit fiddly. Might consider 1um scales if offered but they'd probably be wasted on me.

Since getting it up on the bench and leveled, I have done virtually nothing to it other than installing the QC toolpost and changing the gearbox oil.

I was in China for a few weeks last fall and did some online shopping for a bunch of tooling for lathe and mill. Quality of everything was generally top-notch, some of it was imported from Japan (Kyocera/Mistubishi insert tooling) or made in Taiwan (5um ER collets). Nice hefty (1.5kg) Albrecht chuck with Imperial R8 shank. I bought stuff with guaranteed accuracy and materials specified. The opposite of the "free shipping" Ali/Banggood junk. Most of the selection in larger industrial sizes though.

I still use my little Sherline occasionally for tiny high-RPM stuff, but mostly not. Another project is to convert that to CNC but it's not going to be great without ballscrews and tiny ballscrews are very expensive.

If I won the lottery, of course, I might choose a different set of tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKizLfzz7GM

--Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/12/2020 11:51 AM, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
*I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
*So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
*I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
* I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
*Any suggestions what to look at?

****************************** Mikek

Ask Mark Wieber for one. He has dozens that mysteriously "appeared" in
his "shop."

Ha! I fix machinery in machine shops and stumble across lathes now
and then.

First question..what are you going to be doing with your lathe?

Will you be making tiny little RC drone parts..or will you be making
rear end parts for coal mining trucks..or somewhere in between?

Give us some idea of what you plan to use a lathe for and we can find
you something.

Gunner
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"speff" wrote in message

[...]

Chinese lathes CAN be a good deal. Or a nightmare.

It depends on the size for one thing. NEVER buy a 9" Chicom lathe.
Ever. It will be utter junk. You may be able to run it after you have
stripped it and carefully put it back together...but it will be at
best..a good wood lathe and a "meh" metal lathe. I suspect..and not
all that jokingly..that the various 9" lathes are used to train
newbies in machining and assembly at the factories. Brrrr.

And once again...what are you needing a lathe for? I may be able to
find you something that is far better than you can get from China.
True..the Chinese can and do make WONDERFUL lathes..but they are going
to be industrial machines..not hobby or cross over machines...a "cross
over machine" being a machine tool that a hobbiest or just getting
started tiny machine shop would first get and carefully used to earn
enough money to buy a real lathe.

Gunner
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

been using a grizzly 9x20 for about 15 years..

sure works well

https://i.postimg.cc/vm4ZjrCM/grizzly-side.jpg

Charl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"xman charl" wrote in message

been using a grizzly 9x20 for about 15 years..

sure works well

https://i.postimg.cc/vm4ZjrCM/grizzly-side.jpg

Charl

=========================

What have you found to be its limits of size, accuracy and difficult
material?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/24/2020 1:43 PM, xman charl wrote:
been using a grizzly 9x20 for about 15 years..

sure works well

https://i.postimg.cc/vm4ZjrCM/grizzly-side.jpg

Charl

I've been running a Logan (Wards PowrKraft labeled) built in 1952 for
longer than that . It also works very well .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 4/24/2020 1:43 PM, xman charl wrote:
been using a grizzly 9x20 for about 15 years..
sure works well
https://i.postimg.cc/vm4ZjrCM/grizzly-side.jpg
Charl

I've been running a Logan (Wards PowrKraft labeled) built in 1952 for
longer than that . It also works very well .
--
Snag

===================================

I like Old American Iron too (1965 SB Heavy 10), but newbie looking for a
hobby lathe recommendation is pretty much limited to current production.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 1:51:38 PM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek

I found a used Grizzly at a steal. It was almost new, not used alot. The tooling that was included was worth more than what I paid for the Lathe. expect to spend quite a bit on tooling. You can purchase as you need it. In my opinion buy as much of a lathe as you can possibly afford.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I found a used Grizzly at a steal. It was almost new, not used alot. The
tooling that was included was worth more than what I paid for the Lathe.
expect to spend quite a bit on tooling. You can purchase as you need it. In
my opinion buy as much of a lathe as you can possibly afford.

In my opinion a 10" to 12" lathe with 5C collets is enough unless you -know-
you'll need a larger one. An 8" or 9" lathe with 3 and 4 jaw chucks would
have handled almost all of my projects. Same some money for the milling
machine.