Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default G4: halogen or LED?

newshound wrote:

On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll give LEDs a try. (I actually
quite like the blue-ish halogen light for reading).

Even halogens are on the warm end of the range of LED light colour
temperatures, and you will find the daylight white LEDs a great deal
bluer. I find this best for reading too.

--

Roger Hayter