Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I'd like to buy a small lathe

"David Billington" wrote in message ...

There was a good write up in IIRC Model Engineer some years ago about
the purchase/dismantling and rebuild of a Chinese gear head lathe and it
was the usual sand in castings, fettling, and proper assembly. The
author thought the parts were of high quality and well machined but
assembled by monkeys but after all the work the result was decent .

============================

I generally agree, except that the tee slots on the RF-31 table weren't
quite parallel with the dovetails so I had to machine an angled key to mount
the vise with its jaws parallel to X. The tee slot needed a bit of
single-cut filing to make the key a light friction fit all along its length.

I've heard/read that whatever work can be done at home by mothers tending
babies is, for social rather than economic reasons, like the 18th century
British cottage industries. The specific job mentioned was casting Toyota
tail light lenses.

There is a low level WW2 aerial photo of a burned-out Japanese residential
district with the only things standing being a forest of the ruins of drill
presses. It was used to justify more firebombing.

https://www.avg.com