Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I'd like to buy a small lathe

"amdx" wrote in message ...

I didn't, but there is a bit of truth in questioning precision on many
Chinese products.

The remaining precision on old American iron like mine can be questionable
too. Fortunately if you measure and understand it you can correct or work
around (or frequently ignore) many problems. For example you can measure the
out-of-squareness of the crossfeed by facing a disk and testing across the
far side with an extended dial indicator, which will read double the error.
It won't matter for the average pulley sheave, custom spacer bushing or
shortened bolt.

Indicating the surfaces of the chuck is another good easy test. I found the
worn and unworn sections of my lathe's leadscrew with an indicator, and now
cut non-critical threads with the worn section, and critical ones on the
tailstock end of a long bar.

The limit to your attainable accuracy is what you can measure, not so much
what the lathe can do by itself.

https://www.avg.com