Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Purple Heart or Red Cedar?

On 4/11/2020 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 11:27:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/10/2020 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

CEDAR! Another give away, cedar is relatively a soft wood, purple heart
is not.

Well, considering the piece is 2300 miles from me, I won't be giving it a
hardness test anytime soon. ;-)

My son, who lives is Las Vegas, got it in a pile of firewood that he thinks
came from Utah. There's not a lot firewood growing near Vegas. He had
paid for that load, but...

He lucked out a couple of days ago. He's a real estate agent and one of his
partner's called him. He had a buyer that just closed on a house with a
whole bunch of seasoned firewood that he didn't want.

He ended up with 3 pickup truck loads, piled high, and loaded for him by
the new owner (contractor with a front loader). He wanted to pay the guy
*something*, who refused his offer, so he did what I do when someone does
something nice for me. He asked: "Do you have a favorite charity? I'll
send something to them."

The guy was quite happy with that "payment".

Well the bark will be splintery too, on cedar. But,, that is cedar.

And FWIW purple heart does not grow here, in North America. It grows in
the area between Mexico and Brazil.