Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Purple Heart or Red Cedar?

https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 10:17:59 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

ER Cedar, the bark is another clue.

Purple heart samples: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...urpleheart.htm

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 20:17:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

Looks to me like eastern red cedar (sometimes called swamp cedar but
generally real swamp cedar is eastern white cedar). Purpleheart is
tighter grained, and weighs about 50-55 lb /cu ft - about twice as
dense as cedar.
The sapwood streaks through the heartwood are a halmark of eastern
red cedar - or aromatic cedar. It is actually a Juniper while many
other cedars are actually a cyprus.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2020 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

CEDAR! Another give away, cedar is relatively a soft wood, purple heart
is not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2020 11:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

Purple Heart

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

Sniff it.

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

At first read of subject line "I know what a Purple Heart is for,
What's a Red Cedar awarded for?"
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 11:27:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/10/2020 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

CEDAR! Another give away, cedar is relatively a soft wood, purple heart
is not.

Well, considering the piece is 2300 miles from me, I won't be giving it a
hardness test anytime soon. ;-)

My son, who lives is Las Vegas, got it in a pile of firewood that he thinks
came from Utah. There's not a lot firewood growing near Vegas. He had
paid for that load, but...

He lucked out a couple of days ago. He's a real estate agent and one of his
partner's called him. He had a buyer that just closed on a house with a
whole bunch of seasoned firewood that he didn't want.

He ended up with 3 pickup truck loads, piled high, and loaded for him by
the new owner (contractor with a front loader). He wanted to pay the guy
*something*, who refused his offer, so he did what I do when someone does
something nice for me. He asked: "Do you have a favorite charity? I'll
send something to them."

The guy was quite happy with that "payment".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 12:49:49 PM UTC-4, G Ross wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

Sniff it.

Well, considering the piece is 2300 miles from me, I better have a good
sense of smell!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2020 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well the bark will be splintery too, on cedar. But,, that is cedar.

And FWIW purple heart does not grow here, in North America. It grows in
the area between Mexico and Brazil.