Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I'd like to buy a small lathe

"amdx" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
I had a Harbor freight lathe that I bought used.
While I got some utility from it, it was rusted after a hurricane
damaged my shed roof. I sold it cheap letting someone else do the clean up.
So, I want another lathe, I don't want anther HF unit, not even sure I
want one of the larger Grizzly Lathes. Might be convinced though.
I have looked at Bolton Lathes and they interest me, But I'm really
stretching what I want to spend at $2,000 by the time I buy some
accessories.
I have looked for a used lathe, but I don't want to start with
other people problems.
Any suggestions what to look at?

Mikek
What do you want to do with it? If it's to make model engines etc you can
size the model to the lathe, but for repair parts and prototypes of your
bright ideas you may need a larger capacity, perhaps 8", 9" or 10" diameter.

Mine is a 10" and I make machinery I designed and repair parts for old
equipment. I mostly could have managed with an 8" lathe, maybe a 7", but
probably not smaller. When I was building custom electronics I had a little
Prazi clone which had enough capacity though I didn't appreciate the lack of
half nuts to disengage the carriage from the leadscrew.

I turn enough 1" shafting and drill rod to appreciate my lathe's 1-3/8"
spindle bore. A bore that won't take 1/2" rod would limit the load capacity
of axles you could make. 3/4" is a decent size for loads of several hundred
pounds and 5HP motor pulley shafts.

Welcome to 2020.
Now go home.

https://www.avg.com