Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Purple Heart or Red Cedar?

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 11:27:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/10/2020 10:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/gzunzJj.jpg

CEDAR! Another give away, cedar is relatively a soft wood, purple heart
is not.

Well, considering the piece is 2300 miles from me, I won't be giving it a
hardness test anytime soon. ;-)

My son, who lives is Las Vegas, got it in a pile of firewood that he thinks
came from Utah. There's not a lot firewood growing near Vegas. He had
paid for that load, but...

He lucked out a couple of days ago. He's a real estate agent and one of his
partner's called him. He had a buyer that just closed on a house with a
whole bunch of seasoned firewood that he didn't want.

He ended up with 3 pickup truck loads, piled high, and loaded for him by
the new owner (contractor with a front loader). He wanted to pay the guy
*something*, who refused his offer, so he did what I do when someone does
something nice for me. He asked: "Do you have a favorite charity? I'll
send something to them."

The guy was quite happy with that "payment".