Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

Default OT(ish): Larch as firewood

On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 18:25:11 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

A branch has come off a larch at the end of our garden. I have a wood
burning stove so Im always on the look out for good wood to burn. The
question is, is it good, at least from a soot and creosote/tar point of
view?

Ive read that it burns €œhot€ which I guess is good from the point of
view of not clagging your chimney with residues but it seems very
resinous and Im not sure whether lots of resin equates to more creosote
& tar deposition. My gut feeling is that it will but maybe this is
offset by the €œhot€ burning?

Any thoughts?

Tim

I have a few 'pine' trees in the garden and over the years have thinned a
burnt a number of them in the stove. I'd cut it into suitable lengths
and then leave it to weather/season/dry for (ideally) a couple of years
and then use it. It *will* burn hot and fast so is ideal if you want a
quick burst of heat.