Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Choice

In article ,
John wrote:
Depends on the data and criteria they use - sometimes service call outs
are taken into account, rather than just the quality of the appliance.
The best quality boilers on the market, that all those in the heating
industry (not plumbers) would agree on a Intergas, ATAG (both Dutch
who invented the condensing boiler) and Navien. Navien are Koran who are
the biggest boiler manufacturers in the world - been available in the UK
for about 5-7 years. Viessmann are below them, who have recently dropped
in quality. The rest lag way behind the top three with Worcester Bosch,
Ideal, Baxi and Vaillant way overpriced for what they are.

Navien have advanced designs with even touch control user panels with
also great touches like taking the outside temperature for weather
compensation from satellites, so no wire to a sensor on the north side
of a building. Their stainless double pass heat exchangers do not need
cleaning. The latest Intergas and Navien boilers modulate way down low,
to under 3kw. When on an Opentherm thermostat (really a sensor not an
on-off stat), the burner modulates to the demands of the building. Only
when the demand is below 3kW, or lower, will any burner cycling occur;
by then the building will be up temperature anyhow with heating off.

Interesting. I chose a Veissmann some 12 years ago, based on reports here
and elsewhere. Not regretted the choice. Was impressed with the build
quality on the one repair it's needed in this time. Things like the PCB
including fuses on all the outputs. Even although they're soldered in, and
not something the average repair man would fix.

Spares are pricey, but availability and delivery very good.

Only real complaint is the user interface. Setting up things like the
weather compensation. Which I'd hoped would be addressed on later models
by doing it all via your phone or PC, rather than fiddly multi function
buttons on the programmer. But I think par for the course at that time.

Shame if they've dropped back in the pecking order. I did a self install,
and the human on the other end of the help line couldn't have been more
helpful. He was obviously an engineer, rather than just a phone advisor,
who had to look everything up.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.