Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Big hole in the ceiling

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 15:14:01 +0000, dj
m wrote:

I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average" job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

If you have never done anything like this before and you want it to
look good, hire someone. If having a spot that you will be looking at
for years wondering what went wrong, go for it.